Are you looking to get a new tattoo? Then you’ve come to the right place. We’re here to help you find the best tattoo artists in Chicago. Whether you’re after something classic or are looking for something more cutting-edge and unique, Chicago has plenty of talented professionals for you to choose from.
We’ve compiled a comprehensive guide of tattoo artists operating in the Windy City, featuring recommendations from local experts and online reviews. Our list includes an array of styles and price points, so you can find the perfect artist for your next piece. Read on for our top picks!
Popular Tattoo Styles in Chicago
Are you unsure what style of tattoo you’re looking for? Chicago is a great place to find uniqueness in tattoo styles. From traditional to contemporary, there are many popular styles that are often requested by customers.
- Traditional: This style is inspired by classic tattoos from the ’60s and ’70s and focuses on bold lines and vibrant colors.
- Neo-traditional: This style is a more modern spin on classic traditional tattoos and often includes elements such as roses, skulls, and other traditional motifs.
- Blackwork: As the name suggests, this style mainly uses black ink to create intricate geometric designs or bold shapes.
- Japanese: Japanese tattoos often include colorful images of koi fish, dragons, tigers or floral patterns. They tend to be larger in size and filled with lots of details.
- Neo-Japanese: Also known as street-style Japanese tattooing, this style incorporates abstract shapes and graphics into the traditional Japanese patterns to create something more modern.
- Realism: If you’re looking for a photorealistic look, this style uses highly detailed images that appear 3D on the body.
No matter what style you choose for your tattoo, there’s sure to be an artist in Chicago who can bring it to life!
Finding the Best Tattoo Parlors in Chicago
If you’re looking for the best tattoo parlors in Chicago, then you’ve come to the right place. The city of Chicago is home to some amazing tattoo artists, and with so much to choose from, it can be overwhelming trying to find a great place to get ink. The good news is that there are a few things you can do to make sure that you’re getting the highest quality work for your money.
Research and Referrals
The best place to start is by doing some research online. Look at reviews and ratings of different artists, and talk to people who have had tattoos done by them. Word-of-mouth referrals are a great way to get an honest assessment of someone’s work. You can also visit the websites of some of the more established tattoo parlors in Chicago to see portfolios of their artists’ work.
Set an Appointment
Once you’ve narrowed down your options, set up an appointment with the artist of your choice – this way, they’ll have time to properly plan out your design before they actually begin inking it onto your skin. Make sure both you and the artist are on the same page when it comes to your vision, designs, placement options and pricing before committing anything – verbal or otherwise.
Taking the time to find a great artist can make the difference between a mediocre tattoo and an incredible piece of artwork that will last forever! Don’t be afraid to take your time when making this important decision – it’s worth it in the end!
What to Expect During Your Appointment
If you’re getting a tattoo for the first time, you may be feeling a little anxious—but don’t worry! Most professional tattoo artists will make sure that you’re comfortable throughout your entire appointment.
Here’s what to expect:
Prepare for the Tattoo
Your artist will start by discussing your tattoo design in detail, and make sure that everything is just perfect before they begin. They’ll go over important information like the size and placement of your tattoo, as well as how long it’ll take to complete. Your artist will also go over any aftercare instructions that you should follow, so make sure to pay close attention.
Applying the Transfer/Outline
Once all of the preparation is done, your artist will then apply a transfer stencil of the design onto your skin, so they can get an accurate outline of where to put the ink. After that’s done, they’ll start by outlining the design with a sterilized needle. This part usually lasts between 5-10 minutes depending on how intricate the tattoo is.
Adding Color and Finishing Touches
Once they’re done with the outline, your artist will add color and shading to give life to your design. You’ll likely need multiple sessions if you’re getting a large or complex design, but most tattoos are finished within two hours or less. After all is said and done, your artist should provide you with detailed aftercare instructions on how to properly care for your new tattoo in order for it to heal properly and look its best over time!
Aftercare Tips to Help Your Tattoo Heal Quickly
Aftercare is an incredibly important part of any tattoo, and if you want your tattoo to look its best, it’s important to take care of it properly. The good news is that it doesn’t take too much effort—just a few minutes each day—and the result will be a gorgeous tattoo.
Here are some tips to help your tattoo heal quickly:
- Keep the area clean by washing gently with soap and warm water at least once a day.
- If the area feels dry or itchy, apply a small amount of fragrance-free moisturizer until the tattoo is fully healed.
- Avoid swimming, steam rooms, hot tubs, and saunas until your tattoo is healed completely.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid friction on the healing skin and for comfort when sleeping or sitting for extended periods of time.
- Avoid direct sunlight and tanning beds until your tattoo is fully healed as these can cause damage or fade your design over time.
- If scabbing occurs, resist the urge to pick at it; this can cause scarring or ink loss in the area which can ruin the appearance of your tattoo permanently.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, as this helps with healing and keeps your skin healthy.
- Eat right and get plenty of rest to ensure a speedy recovery!
By following these simple steps you’ll be able to enjoy your new body art while keeping it healthy and vibrant-looking!
The Best Foundations for Cover-Ups and Reconstructions
Are you looking for a tattoo artist to help with a cover-up or reconstruction? You’ll want to make sure you find someone who is experienced and knowledgeable about the foundations for such a project.
The success of any Tattoo Artists in Chicago, especially one that involves hiding an existing image or reconstructing another, will depend greatly on the artist’s understanding of skin types. Different textures and tones require different techniques and inks to get the desired effect. An experienced artist can determine which is right for you.
The color wheel will also be especially important in cover-ups and reconstructions. Choosing the right colors and shades will be essential in camouflaging the existing design. A professional may take into consideration several elements when it comes to color theory, including:
- The overall size of the tattoo
- The tone of your skin
- How the colors interact with each other
- The texture of your skin
- How much light is reflected off your body
Finding an experienced artist who knows how to navigate these complexities, as well as works with quality ink and needles, can mean the difference between a successful cover-up or reconstruction tattoo, or an unsuccessful one.